Days after Jay Leno was significantly injured in a storage fireplace, his physician stated Wednesday that he hopes the longtime tv host will likely be launched inside the week.
Dr. Peter Grossman — the director of the Grossman Burn Heart in West Hills Hospital — instructed NBC Los Angeles that Leno had burns to “roughly 7% of his physique.”
He stated the burns have been “comparatively critical” and concerned Leno’s face, arms and chest. Grossman stated it’s “too early to inform whether or not there’s going to be any everlasting harm” to the star’s face.
The physician added that they added short-term pores and skin grafts from “human cadaver pores and skin” to Leno’s physique, which is a regular process. He stated he plans to return to the working room in “just a few days” with a extra everlasting resolution.
“Take away that after which we’ll assess what he wants from there and hopefully positively get his wounds to shut,” he stated.
Grossman added that “basically, burns are in all probability probably the most painful sort” of harm however Leno appears to have a “very excessive ache threshold.”
“He’s additionally very stoic particular person and he’s simply not one who desires to complain,” Grossman stated, including that Leno has been “very gracious, he’s very pleasant.”
“He’s very appreciative,” Grossman stated. “He’s obtained a really optimistic angle. He’s humbled by the quantity of outpouring of affection, and maybe even a bit embarrassed of the eye that he’s getting for it. He simply desires to be an everyday man and get again to work.”
Grossman stated he doesn’t need to “converse too early,” however is optimistic Leno could have a “very optimistic consequence.”
A supply near the comic instructed NBC Information on Tuesday the burns have been on the left facet of Leno’s face.
The supply stated the fireplace broke out whereas Leno — an avid automobile collector and host of “Jay Leno’s Storage” — was engaged on his 1907 White Motor Firm steam-powered automobile in his storage in Burbank, California. Leno was fixing a clogged gasoline line, the supply stated, when gasoline leaked and gasoline sprayed on his face. Then a spark began the fireplace, the supply stated.
Leno confirmed the incident in an announcement Monday.
“I obtained some critical burns from a gasoline fireplace,” the longtime TV host stated within the assertion. “I’m OK. Simply want every week or two to get again on my toes.”
The supply near Leno instructed NBC Information that each one of Leno’s scheduled occasions for the following two weeks have been canceled.
Grossman stated Wednesday he wasn’t certain how lengthy Leno would wish to stay hospitalized however he hoped to launch him rapidly.
“It’s a bit bit too quickly to speak about when he’s going to be launched,” he stated, including that burns may be unpredictable. “I’m hoping that it could be inside every week however once more, I don’t know for certain.”
Diana Dasrath contributed.